White Allies Discussion Group on Dismantling Racism
In collaboration with the Multicultural Resource Center, in 2008 CTA launched a discussion group specifically for “white allies” committed to eliminating racism in our community. This group offers opportunities for:
- Adding to the Multicultural Resource Center’s (MRC) Talking Circles on Race and Racism by providing a forum for people of European descent to continue to explore with each other the challenging issues the Circles raise;
- Building a larger, broader base of multicultural support for initiatives to eliminate racism in our community;
- Creating a growing network of white leaders with the information, skills and support to sustain close, respectful working relationships with people of color, take effective action during race-related incidents, and incorporate greater consciousness and competence into their areas of activity of leadership
- Creating a growing network of white leaders who can help end disparities in housing, employment, health care, education, commerce, and public life due to systemic racism;
- Fostering unified, multicultural community leadership able to respond equitably and effectively to pressing issues such as public education, sustainability, food security, climate change, and anti-violence initiatives.
The discussion group last met from May 6 through June 24, 2009.